Friday, July 24, 2015

Would You Follow Her Lead?

I chose to write about an article from Off The Kuff, that brings to light the issues we have with same-sex marriages. I truly believe everyone should have the same opportunity as the next person, and ask what grounds do we have, to make that decision for someone else? Equality for all, is a subject that has caught my attention, along with discrimination.

The Rusk County Commissioners Court on Monday formally accepted the resignation of County Clerk Joyce Lewis-Kugle, apparently the first Texas elected official to quit rather than abide by the U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage. "Before taking office, I was required to take an oath to uphold the laws of this State and the United States." Lewis-Kugle, elected in 2006, wrote in her resignation letter to County Judge Joel Hale last week. "Due to the recent decision by the Supreme Court, the laws I swore to have changed now."

Despite the controversy, I feel Lewis-Kugle made the right decision in stepping down and letting someone who does not have a problem abiding by the law to take over. We are all entitled to our opinions, but to force them on others is wrong. I can appreciate her approach to this difficult issue and wish more people took her lead. If you are in a position of power, do not abuse it, if you disagree. Simply, take yourself out of the equation, Lewis-Kugle may disagree, but I feel she did the most appropriate and respectful thing she could ever do. She did not engage in a direct discussion with anyone on how she does not agree with the law, and did not treat anyone directly with disrespect. There have been other county clerk in the news, that have not taken the same approach as did Lewis-Bugle. I think the author, Charles Kuffner, of this article did a great job in demonstrating the right thing to do in a hard situation, on whether to agree or disagree. He showed two instances of how two county clerks handled this situation and how to target an audience by showing both sides of the issue. Even though I am against discrimination, I can appreciate the approach and action of Lewis-Bugle.

No comments:

Post a Comment